With increasing tuition costs and high costs of living most students live on a tight budget. With some thought and planning you can improve your financial condition and enjoy your precious student years. Be it a fancy dress party or the university ski trip you will need money for everything. Managing finances during the student years is a challenging task. From textbooks to transportation and for entertainment you will have to spend money. While at college you must ensure that you do not overspend. If you are worried about getting broke, these money saving tips will help you to gain a stronger hold over your finances.
Follow the tips suggested below if you want to spend wisely in your college years.
- Avoid buying college books from university bookstores. Instead choose used bookstores or buy your study material online. Even if you have to pay the shipping charges it can turn out to be a cheaper alternative for you. Contact friends and seniors who have enrolled in the course in the past. You can make use of their used books. In this way, you will cut down on expenses on study material. You can borrow from the library and buy books which you really need during the course.
- You can save a considerable amount of money by choosing the right meal plan. With some research, you will find meal plans which suit your budget. The best way to settle for the cheapest option is to make use of price comparison site. You can compare the prices of all necessary products which are available in the major stores. You can consider buying fresh supplies from the local market. Another great way to save on food is to share the expenses with your flat mate. Find more affordable alternatives to the expensive brand names.
- You can cut down on travelling costs by availing travel discounts which are offered to students. In most cities, you will come across local bus operators which offer student passes. This alternative will prove much cheaper than buying tickets. Instead of investing in a car, you can think about buying a bike. Instead of driving to lectures you can use the local bus service or the subway system. You can avail free rides with your student ID if the system operates for the university. You can work out a schedule with friends and plan car pool. This will cut down your expenses on fuel and help you to save.
- In college years, you will look forward to unwinding with friends after the classes. However splurging on entertainment is not advisable. You can save on trips to the theaters, bars and cafes. Find out about the special discounts which are offered to the students. Instead of going to a fancy restaurant you can plan a picnic with your friends in the park. Use your creativity to make the right choices and save money. Opt for 2.2 graduate jobs which are in sync with your skills and lifestyle.
- Opt for an affordable plan for your Smartphone. With a student checking account managing finances will be easier. With online banking, you can easily keep track of the transactions. Monitoring expenses is easier as you manage your life in college.
The money-saving tips discussed above will make life easier for you. Being money-wise is important when at college so that you do not overspend. Keep your eyes open for scholarships and stipends. This will make it easier for you to cover the expenses in college. Without burning a hole in your pocket, you can enjoy life at university.